The new Sony Xperia S has three hidden buttons laid out like the rest of the Xperia range (no dedicated search button) and a transplant bar which houses an invisible antenna.
Sony Xperia S Specifications:
- Available: Q1, 2012
- Networks: GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900; UMTS HSPA 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I)
- Display: 4.3” 1280 x 720 pixels 720p HD display (Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine)
- Camera: 12 megapixel camer, Aperture f/2.4, Front-facing camera (1.3 MP 720p)
- Operating system: Google Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Input: touchscreen
- CPU: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 Dual Core
- Memory: 1GB?
- Memory card:
- Storage: 32GB eMMC
- Connectivity: WiFi, aGPS, DLNA Certified, HDMI support
- Battery: 1700 mAh
- Talk Time: Up to 7 hrs 30 min
- Standby Time: Up to 420 hrs
- Dimensions: 128 x 64 x 10.6 mm
- Weight: 144 grams
Xperia S will be available to consumers globally from the first quarter 2012. Launching on Android platform 2.3 (Gingerbread) Xperia S will be upgraded to Android platform 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) during the second quarter 2012.
Key Features for Xperia S
- 4.3 inch Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine with HD resolution screen (1280 x 720), as well as front (720p) and back (1080p) cameras for HD recording.
- 1.5GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing and content download, which can be stored on the internal 32GB flash storage.
- 12MP back camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile along with Fastest Capture to take shots in just 1.5 seconds directly from standby mode.
- NFC (Near Field Communications) enabled to access growing range of NFC applications and services as well as Xperia SmartTags.
- With HD sharing through DLNA, HDMI and using BRAVIA Sync for controlling your Xperia S with your TV remote control when connected to the TV, Xperia S delivers a full HD experience on TV.
Smart Extras for Android
The announcement of Xperia S is supported by the launch of three new Smart Extras™ accessories to enhance the experience on Android and to bring content to consumers’ smartphones in an entirely new way.
Xperia SmartTags – switch your smartphone settings with a single swipe
Xperia SmartTags work with any NFC enabled smartphone, including Xperia S. Simply touch a NFC enabled smartphone to a SmartTag, which is the shape and size of a small round token, and it launches a pre-configured profile in the phone, such as the alarm clock for a SmartTag by your bed or a GPS application for the SmartTag in your car. These profiles can be easily personalised to reflect any taste, designed to save consumers time and make their smartphone lives easier.
Smart Wireless Headset pro – the Bluetooth headset that does it all
This Bluetooth™ stereo headset for Android smartphones offers multifunctional features in addition to superior sound. On the display of Smart Wireless Headset pro users can read text messages, see incoming calls, access calendar notifications and much more. When detached from the phone it functions as a standalone MP3 player and radio.
SmartWatch – access apps and smartphone features with a micro display for Android
SmartWatch is a micro display accessory for communicating with an Android™ smartphone via Bluetooth. Consumers can, for example, discretely access text messages, social media updates and manage calls or music. The display is mounted on a strap and can be worn as a watch. Applications allowing users to personalize their SmartWatch experience will be available on Android™ market.
For full details all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/
*For illustrative purposes only. Not for commercial use or re-sale. Use of “Sony” brand subject to regulatory approval.
**Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availability by region, please see www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com for more details.
*** The number of available songs varies by region.
**** Subject to market availability.
Xperia™ S specifications
All services mentioned in this leaflet may not be available in every market.
- Size: 128 x 64 x 10.6 mm
- Weight: 144 grams
- Operating system: Google Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread), upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Processor: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 Dual Core
- 3D sweep panorama
- 12 megapixel camera
- 16x digital zoom
- Aperture f/2.4
- Auto focus
- Face detection
- Face recognition
- Front-facing camera (1.3 MP 720p)
- Geo tagging
- HD video recording (1080p)
- Image stabiliser
- Red-eye reduction
- Scene recognition
- Send to web
- Sony Exmor R™ for mobile image sensor
- Sweep panorama
- Touch focus
- Video light
- Video recording
- 3D surround sound
- Album art
- Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
- Clear audio
- Clear bass
- Music tones (MP3/AAC)
- PlayNow™ service
- Music Player
- TrackID™ music recognition
- xLoud™ Experience
- Android Market™
- Google™ search
- Google Voice™ Search
- Pan & zoom
- Web browser (WebKit)
- Call list
- Facebook™ application
- Google Talk™
- Noise suppression
- Polyphonic ringtones
- Sony Ericsson Timescape™
- Twitter™ (Timescape™ integration)
- Vibrating alert
- Instant messaging
- Multimedia messaging (MMS)
- Predictive text input
- Sound recorder
- Text messaging (SMS)
- 720p HD display
- Auto rotation
- Gesture input
- Keyboard (on-screen, QWERTY)
- Picture wallpaper
- Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
- Screenshot capturing
- Touch screen
- 3D games
- Accelerated Adobe Flash Video
- Google Media Uploader
- Media browser
- Motion gaming
- PlayStation® Certified
- Radio (FM radio with RDS)
- Sony Entertainment Network
- TV launcher
- Video streaming
- Alarm clock
- Document readers
- Airplane mode
- Infinite button
- Setup guide
- 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA)
- Bluetooth™ technology
- DLNA Certified®
- HDMI support
- Media Transfer Protocol support
- Micro USB support
- Native USB tethering
- USB High speed 2.0 support
- Wi-Fi® Hotspot functionality
- 4.3” 720p HD display
- Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
- 1280 x 720 pixels (342 ppi)
- 16,777,216 colour TFT
- Shatter proof sheet on scratch-resistant glass
- Flash memory: 32GB eMMC
- UMTS HSPA 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I)
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- Talk time GSM: Up to 7 hrs 30 min*
- Standby time GSM/GPRS: Up to 450 hrs*
- Talk time UMTS: Up to 8 hrs 30 min*
- Standby time UMTS: Up to 420 hrs*
- Music listening time: Up to 25 hrs*
- Video playback time: Up to 6 hrs 30 min*
- Embedded battery: 1750 mAh typical, 1700 mAh minimum
- *Values are according to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage.
In the kit
- Xperia™ S
- Built-in battery
- Stereo portable handsfree
- Micro USB cable for charging
- Synchronisation and file transfer
- User documentation
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.